Thursday, December 2, 2010

Holiday Wreath

Where did November go?
It just flew on by.
Here's a craft to gear up for the Holidays!
 
This is an idea that my sister-in-law, Jessica, saw on another blog. We kind of winged it and made this together, or at least most of it:
When I got home and finished it, I was anxious to get to decorating it! Now for those who don't know, I am a married college student that strives to be frugal. When it came to decorating it, I used what I had around the house. I'm sure those with money to spend can make theirs a lot prettier. Anyhow, I used some $.60 ribbon I bought from Micheal's previously and some scrap silver ribbon I have had for a while. This is what it looks like:

As you can see, my silver ribbon wasn't quite long enough to go all the way around, but I will fix that as soon as I can get to Micheal's again.

What you'll need:
Wire Wreath Frame
White Tulle (or other light-weight fabric)
Scissors
Ribbon or decoration of some sort

If you don't want this wreath to be used strictly for the Holidays, I would recommend using double-sided tape to place ribbon. You can't see it, but you can remove it.

Cut ribbon into 4-inch squares--play around with the length you like and feel free to modify.
Tie squares around wires. Tip from Jessica--don't do one wire on the section and then the second; instead, do one on each row and continue until section is complete. That way you don't have the fabric in your way while tying.

This will take about 3 hours, depending on how fast you tie. So, feel free to watch a movie while doing it but warning: it may take you longer this way, but at least you can have a good chick flick night, too!

If you want to do something like mine, the larger ribbon will need to be cut. I would give you an estimate, but it all depends on your taste. You can have it tightly and frequently wrapped around or loose and only 6 times around.

For my red ribbons, I took 8-inch strips (again, depends on your taste) and made a bunny-ear and pinched between index and thumb finger:

 Then wrap the longer tail around thumb:
 Pull through the newly formed hole around thumb:
 To create your bows:
I hope that helped? You will probably have to do it a couple times to get the lengths right.

Have fun and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment